10.04.2010

That House

We went to look at the house. We love the size. The bathrooms are big (bigger than what we've ever had before but nothing outrageous). All the bedrooms (all FOUR of them) have a nice-sized closet. The kitchen is a fine size. It was cluttered and, well, there was dog poop in one the bedrooms ... but looking past all that (no joke, FIVE kids, TWO adults, THREE dogs, THREE rats IN THE FAMILY ROOM, and ONE hermit crab ... and that's just what we noticed), it had good bones. I could see us being happy there for a long time.

No major renovations necessary - new carpet would need to go in the bedrooms before moving in, but that would be the only necessary immediate change. We'd probably opt to do new windows in the very near future too. The rest is really just cosmetic.

The location is PERFECT.

Well, except for the big electrical transformer in the back. It hums (but you only hear it when you're right by it), and it's ugly, and European countries say it causes cancer ... and with the whole testicular cancer fun AND my obsession with having cancer one day, it makes me a little nervous. BUT, we could buy the home next door or behind this house and be just as close to it and NO IDEA THAT IT'S EVEN THERE. Also, from what I'm reading, I'm finding that it's just a fact of life in a subdivision. So, I'm trying to be less nervous about it, but it's still hard to shut out of my mind. (But, like I said, if I lived next door, I'd be just as close to it ... but ignorance would be bliss.) Maybe we can buy a faux rock and cover the inside with aluminum foil? Am I being a freak? I happily stand in front of my microwave AND often heat things in plastic. I'm already screwed, right?

Oh, the other slightly negative thing is the laundry room - it's under the stairs which makes for an awkward space and those big fancy washer and dryer sets of today would be completely too big for the space. So, I won't be able to have extra-large capacity washer and dryer set, but I could live with that - especially since they're tucked away where I can't show them off anyway.

Their realtor thinks they would be very open a rather extended closing date (and, trust me, by the organization of the house, they'll need one). She said, "Honestly, a 60-day closing would be a struggle for them."

In great news, though, we went to look at the bunk beds - they will deliver them and give us the mattresses and matching bedding (which is blue - totally fine for the boys for a while) for $400. They're very nice quality and about two years old. They also come apart, so you can do two twins instead of bunks and they're very nice looking pieces of furniture - not childish looking. Also, the finish matches their existing chest and dresser/changing table, so that's a nice perk too. Also, NO electric transformers attached :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL