10.06.2010

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

I defrosted a six large chicken breasts the other day. I wasn't sure what to do with them, as all boys (husband included) aren't big chicken fans. I decided to try my hand at homemade chicken nuggets, because that is one form of chicken all three boys can get behind.

I cubed the breasts into similar sizes, marinated them in an egg-milk mixture for about an hour, then breaded them with a combination of whole-wheat flour, Italian-flavored bread crumbs, crushed saltine crackers, and McCormick Perfect Pinch Original Chicken seasoning. They were great. All three boys gobbled them up, and I have 72 in the freezer - so long Tyson! In the future, I think I'll skip the saltines altogether. Maybe - one day - I also have a food processor that can make quick work of bread crumbs from leftover bread. Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. Easy!

Food Inc. was a big influence on my current interest on homesteading. We also watched The Silent Killer the other night which just reinforced that there's a lot to be said for getting back to basics. In no way am I saying I am flawless. It's just not possible to do everything right, but it's important to do what you can for the planet and for you body.

I even shop at Walmart sometimes, but I'm making a renewed effort to stop shopping at Walmart altogether. As far as I'm concerned, we pay a lot for their low prices. I may have to pay taxes and those taxes might be used in ways I disagree with to support Walmart and its employees, but I don't have to shop at Walmart.

2 comments:

  1. I had a few of your blogs to catch up on, but now that I am I just have to say that I love the "Shopaholics" books! love them love them. Totally up my lane and the movie was a good chick flick and you know how much I like those! I am secretly hoping to see "Easy A" this weekend because the only thing better than a chick flick is a teen movie! haha wanna meet in Dallas and go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually interested in seeing Easy A too :) I will totally meet you in Dallas :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL