9.27.2010

Half Dozen

We are the proud owners of six eggs. These eggs are valued at almost $57 each. Hilarious, right? At this rate, we'll need about 1700 eggs to break even compared to store-bought eggs. Assuming two eggs a day, it'll take 2.5 years. Hey, but it's all money in the bank after that! Assuming I never buy anymore food or bedding for them. We never said we got chickens for economical reasons :) How do you put a price on your firstborn going outside first thing in the morning and coming back in to announce: "No eggs, Mama, just sticky chicken poop." Oh, true urban homesteading love right there.

The weather has FINALLY chilled the freak out. It's 77 today. (We called this SUMMER in Indiana, but I've learned to compromise.) People were wearing jackets today! Myself included :)

The boys are outside enjoying the weather and ::hopefully:: burning off energy. Oh, they really played our last nerve this weekend. Of course, I spent most of yesterday sleeping, so I shouldn't complain too much. I spend one day almost completely healthy and then am wiped out the next day. I think I could sleep for a couple days straight, if these people and animals would allow such a thing. I'm pretty good today, though. Up at 6:15, everyone on time to everything with everything they needed. It's 3:47 p.m. I'm calling it a success and going to bed as soon as the husband gets home.

6 comments:

  1. take your eggs to your neighbors and sell them for $3.50 a dozen. That will help earn your money back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not that concerned with making my money back. Honestly, if we get an overload of eggs, I'm just going to take them to our church for people to take. I'm sort of thinking I might like a few more (the coop is designed for four to six hens). I can't imagine it'd be that much more difficult to care for three more - they're pretty low maintenance, but then I get to thinking of chicken poop times six times 100-degree weather in the summer. The neighbors might notice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! go for it! I'm hoping you master this so one day when I get chickens of my own, you can guide me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "idea" of getting chickens seemed to involve much more than the reality - so far. They're far less demanding than the kids and the kittens - even easier than the dog. I'm very surprised. Of course, once they have some sort of an illness or are attacked by wild boars ... I might change my tune :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember chicken poop is great for gardens. You might be able to sell it too.
    Aunt Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose - You're right :) I did a quick pickup this morning and have a bag ready for a friend. She requested some for her compost. I also saw some chap stick or something called Chicken Poop (at the Tractor Supply store, of course). I need to look into creating my own line of skin products based on chicken poop ;)

    ReplyDelete

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL