Moose has pneumonia. He has two inhalers and a drug.
I asked Husband to ask the doctor about his not walking, you know, since he was at the doctor anyway. I guess that didn't go over so well. The doctor brought up about how kids are walking and talking by 12 months. My husband said, "Yeah, little girls." The doctor asked how Moose asked for water. What do you mean ask? I remember having these same discussions with Bean's speech therapists - how does he ask for something to drink? He points at the fridge and says MORE! I'm pretty in tune with my kids - they don't have to ask for anything, and I'm not sorry about that. Sorry I KNOW my kids. What? I'm supposed to sit there and play dumb and demand that they ASK till they're fed? Stupid.
Then he got lectured on reading to him. Didn't he just ask about WALKING?
WE READ TO HIM. We read to our kids every, single night. We often read during the day as well. Since 7 months, Moose has been able to pick up a book and ramble on and look through pages. Our kids and books ... they're totally friends. They have ample access to each other, and the kids know how they operate. We're very well-versed on books in this household.
Our kids are not late walkers and talkers because we're bad parents, but thanks, doc. Why don't you use a little tool called GOOGLE and see that not walking or talking at 12 months is totally fine and even NORMAL and AVERAGE. Why don't you note that we have a family history of late talkers (which is maybe why some of us never shut the hell up now).
Not all kids have this sick desire to jump into things and do things. Some kids sit back and observe for a length of time before joining the pack. I don't have any apologies about that either.
That said, we do have a referral to an audiologist to make sure Moose is hearing everything and doesn't have a balance issue that is preventing him from walking. Better safe than sorry, but I'm still not going to leave him thirsty because he doesn't say, "Excuse me, Mother, but could I trouble you for a sippy cup of diluted juice."
12.31.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is so frustrating when you are constantly looking at your kids and they aren't doing "normal" things; but then you wonder what is really "normal" anyway. [I have expereince with this!] Just take care of them the best you know how and love them to pieces. That is all any of us can do.
ReplyDeleteI have similar issues with Charlie. I mean, he says nothing and half the time I find myself explaining to other people what he wants and needs. He's my kid for crying out loud.
ReplyDeleteThere are PLENTY of late talkers and walkers in this world. 12 months is an AVERAGE which means half the kids do it earlier and half the kids do it later.
I can only imagine the fun you two have with doctors. I just have a small taste comparatively, and I'm totally annoyed and frustrated most the time.
ReplyDelete