Yesterday, Bean was playing on the Wii. Husband and I were in the bathroom, we were hanging up a light fixture (which shall now be referred to as The Light Fixture of Divorce). Anyway, the baby was knee walking around and, in the five minutes he had, he found a spray bottle of Pine-Sol (left out by my husband, because I only use vinegar), took a seat about three feet from his brother, and dumped a bunch out and probably drank some (his breath smelled like it).
We called poison control, and were told that he'd be fine - might have an upset stomach, but it won't kill him.
I was annoyed with the light fixture, but then I was annoyed with Bean. His brother was right next to him and he was so blinded by the TV and Wii that he couldn't notice what his brother was doing? Hello? It SMELLED. Between smell and sight, he should have noticed. Nope, he was too busy playing Wii to bother with anything else in the whole world. So, I took the TV and Wii away ... "for a month," I proclaimed.
A month is a long time. I mean, if that's the punishment for "not paying attention," then what will the punishment be for backtalk and lying and underage drinking? So, instead Bean and I sat down and talked about ways he could earn back the TV and Wii - helping with the baby, making his bed, putting his dirty clothes away (which has become a real pain since he's decided to strip his clothes and throw them ... like a stripper ... all over his room), and do things the first time he's told. He has to earn 30 stickers, then he can watch TV and play Wii again. That seems more fair. I just want him to learn that there is more going on in the house (and world) than the TV and Wii.
You know, it's been a long week with the snow and Moose not feeling well. Everyone is a little bored and suffering from a bit of cabin fever, but Bean seems happy about his "punishment." He's playing with toys that he hasn't touched in ages and is enjoying his new toys from the holidays. He's been more helpful around the house - helping to make his bed and mine and even helping straighten up my room (only fair since I slaved over the boys' room yesterday - which is now decluttered with ample room to play).
Best quote so far today:
Me (cleaning up the bedroom): Bean, go around and pick up the coat hangers.
Bean: Mama, I find a rubberband. I not find any hookers.
I nearly peed myself. Hookers. Hilarious.
12.31.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
when you find a way to get the room clean let me know - I have an 18 year the has the same problem.
ReplyDelete