To make a long story, umm, long ...
I called the nurse hotline again and told them I'd been waiting. Someone called me back in 5 minutes. When confirming the information, she noted that they had the birthday, social security number, and a major symptom wrong (the CSR wrote in that he had a history of seizures ... at no point did I say this ... that's a pretty huge error, thank you, shotty phone connection).
Anyway, the nurse I spoke to was great (and relieved that my kid was not have seizures). We were referred to an urgent care clinic. We left at 9:40 and got in to see the NP on duty at 12 noon. She was very thorough and believed it was just his eye and not something neurological. Her husband is an eye doctor in town, so she had a special interest (I felt) in my concern.
Husband finagled an informal assessment from Bean's PCM at 1 p.m. (see: they walk into the waiting room to listen to you moan and take a glance at your kid and give you whatever referral you want). His PCM said she'd rush a referral to an eye doctor (something that usually takes 10 days) and try to get him a same-day or by Friday appointment. An hour later, the office called with an appointment ready!
We saw the eye doctor, who was also great. She was very thorough and very pleased that we had rushed to get this taken care. She definitely didn't think we were over reacting and was happy we had taken it so seriously (one perk to being married to a pilot: eyes are a very serious subject).
Bean is farsighted, like most kids. The symptoms he is exhibiting usually happen around 2 or 3, so she's thinking since they're showing up later that his case is more mild. The faster it's treated, the quicker and better the outcome. He can still see equally well out of both eyes, something that is usually not the case by the time she sees kids. She thinks his eyes will self-correct by 10 or 11. Till then, he's in glasses.
His first pair of glasses will be ready tomorrow afternoon. He has another appointment with the eye doctor in 2 months.
The NP at urgent care seems to think that Bean also has a mild virus which might be why the "lazy eye" showed up so suddenly - viruses tend to exasperate things.
So, it's been a long day, but it's turned out well. Bean received some great care and will be wildly cute in his new glasses. Hopefully, he will also be wildly thrilled when he doesn't have to wear glasses (or have a wonky eye) come his teenage years.
Bean has been on the road to or from a doctor or in an office from 9:40 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Considering that, he was very well behaved. I don't even blame him for rolling around the aisle at the eye glass place.
10.14.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Poor kid!! And poor mama and daddy! At least you got some answers and can breathe a little bit of relief.
ReplyDeleteThis has confirmed for me that I am glad we went with Standard and I don't have to have a PCM. It seems like a headache. Hang in there mama!! :)
Yup, that's a perk to Standard! I know it's not the PCM's fault. The system is just clogged - too many patients, not enough care ... and why would bother to put more money into it? It's just, you know, health.
ReplyDeleteI am certainly happy for answers! I am glad it's just the eye and not something more - there are far worse things than a lazy eye and glasses!
Believe me when I say that care isn't really better on the outside. IT pretty much sucks all around. Although, if your kid is sick enough they will release you from the base docs all together--they took one look at charlie's chart and pushed that paperwork RIGHT through.
ReplyDeleteInteresting description of the military wives. I always felt out of the loop with many of them. My close friends on base were pretty much all female officers.
She talked about befriending female officers. Maybe I should take that into consideration.
ReplyDeleteBefore "marrying the military," I had "outside" health care coverage. I was, overall, pretty happy with it. If I needed an appointment with the eye doctor, I just called the eye doctor. Obviously, there were downsides (co-pays, deductibles, etc.) ... it all has its ups and downs.