A friend of ours is the executive director for our local CASA organization - a program that recruits, trains, and provides court-appointed special advocates for children in legal situations of abuse and/or neglect.
Husband and I decided to join their third annual CASA 5K this year. You can walk or run. We walked. We've been very busy the last few weekends and Husband's job and classes have been very demanding these past few weeks. At one point earlier this week Husband suggested, "They already have our money, do we have to go?" Greeted by a cold and windy morning, as the walk started, I suggested that we just veer towards the car when the walk got close to it (which some people did do). We stuck it out, though, and I'm so happy we did. Once we got moving, the wind let up, and the sun started heating things up. The last half of the walk was on a beautiful trail and when we crossed the finish line tons of people are there to cheer us on (as though we were actually breaking a sweat or something silly). I can't wait to do it again next year!
I didn't register Bean this year, because I figured he wouldn't be interested in running ... I was wrong. He was bummed he didn't get to do the 1K with the kids (which they run before the 5K), so I'll be sure to register him next year so he has that option ... and our local CASA will take in a few more bucks as well.
=====
Last night, Mrs. House of Toys was over and we watched Twilight. Our expectations were rather low, but probably not low enough. It was fun to see how some characters fit our visions (Carlise, Esme) and how others were way off the mark (Rosalie, Jacob). Also, Bella is so much prettier in the movie than in any of the promotional posters - what's with that? The special effects were terrible - very B movie, but we have hopes that future movies from the series will be better as the actors develop and the movie gains more funds for more technical effects. We'll see. I still need to read Books 3 and 4!
=====
Aside from the 5K, we've had a pretty lazy day. Napping, crafting, video games, TV, a little bit of yardwork, a board game. It's a much needed break.
4.11.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great organization, CASA that is. We work very closely with them and they are great. A lot of people dont realize that they are all volunteers, they do not get paid for all the time and effort they put in to a case and a child. Thank you for supporting such a great cause. :)
ReplyDeleteMy sister looked up the girl who played Bella online and said she is gorgeous. So they must be downplaying her a lot>
ReplyDeleteI have been involved previously with CASA in southern California and have worked closely with judges in juvenile court system who acknoweldge the difference they make.
ReplyDeleteWay to go.
Oh, yes - I will sponsor Bean next year if he goes the distance!
Granddad.