3.11.2009

Sick Kid

As you may remember, a couple weeks ago the doctor said Bean's smoker's cough was due to sinuses and allergies. We've been giving him is Zyrtec and Singular every morning, and we haven't seen a huge improvement. His cough was particularly bad yesterday, waking him up at like 2:30 in the morning. It sounded like his lungs were going to come out his throat (they have not ... yet). Yesterday evening he started running a fever, about 100. He took a nap and it's pretty clear that he's tired.

Today, he's still running that same fever. We're giving him Motrin and just letting him veg on the couch. He's still coughing. I opted to keep him out of school for the day - he didn't have a fever when I sent him to school yesterday. He has a doctor's appointment tomorrow at 9:20 a.m. We're seeing a new doctor on base and, if it's who I think it is, I've heard less-than-good things about him. Luckily, Husband will be available to go in with me ... so hopefully that will make Mr. Doctor behave better than he has with some of my friends. Anyway, I'm actually hoping that seeing a different doctor will provide some more productive answers. I feel like this cough has been going on for years.

Moose is napping and still has a bit of a runny nose, but it's clear and nothing too exciting. He's eating and sleeping well, so I'm not so worried about him.

I planned on leaving around 8 a.m. tomorrow for the drive to Indiana, but obviously I'll be getting a late start. Worse case, I can wait till Friday to leave and still be on schedule to see the friends that have made plans with me. We'll see how the day and night and the doctor's appointment go ... but I really need to get out of Texas!

Since Husband was home this morning, though, I was able to pop in at the library and pick up several books on CD:

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
I've always meant to read this, but I've just never gotten around to it.

Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs
I read his first memoir Running with Scissors, so I can't wait to see what this one has in store. I hope it's not about sobriety. Sobriety is boring.

Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
I've never read a Nicholas Sparks book nor seen any of the movies. Crazy, I know. Anyway, I thought it's be good to have something light.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wild
I read this in college, but I don't remember it. With more than 30 hours of driving ahead of me, surely I can find some time to appreciate a classic (but I'll admit that is the one I'm most likely to skip).

3 comments:

  1. Ohh I love the notebook!!! Happy driving and I hope the Bean gets better!

    P.S. It's still cold here, I hope you didnt forget how miserable Indiana is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Bean's sick Mel, but it sounds like he's got something similar to what I had a couple weeks back (given to me by Alissa thank you very much). It started with a cough, then moved to fever, then sinus stuff, then back to cough. I went to the doc who said it was Bronchitis, combined with the flu, gave me some antibiotics, and told me to expect the cough to last for 4-6 weeks. I'm in about week 4, and so far, she's right...goin' strong! I hope Bean feels better soon...the bazillion hour drive to Indiana with a sick little boy might not be all the fun it's cracked up to be...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think books on CD are awesome. I listen to them while I clean the house, paint, edit photos...whatever. I've checked out nearly ALL the ones I'm willing to read at the local library so I subscribe to Audible and get 1 per month. If you ever need them, I'd be happy to share my account (they can be downloaded to like three computers).
    Not that you want everybody's thoughts on what's wrong with Bean, but it could also be Acid reflux. Especially if he wasn't (fever) sick the whole time. If he were aspirating some of his stomach acid into his lungs it can sound like he might cough his lung right out.
    Have a safe drive!

    ReplyDelete

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL