I like plans. I like knowing what is happening this evening, tomorrow, and next week.
I don't like surprises. Or moving.
So, it's ironic that I'm married to the military. It's certainly not something I took lightly. And, going into it, I knew that he would sometimes be deployed for months or even a year. I expected "he'd be gone a lot." While I hated it, I knew we'd move often. What I didn't expect (and what absolutely no one mentioned to me) is that every single day is a different schedule. I don't know what time he goes in till the night before and I don't know what time he comes home till he comes home.
Most military families do not have to deal with that part of it. Sure, if their spouse is a work-a-holic they might have some of that and if their relief doesn't show up they're stuck there, but most Air Force personnel work shift work. You know they're 7:30 to 4:30 or 10 to 5 or whatever.
I will say that his current position is much preferred over his student position. He can take leave now, and he has "general" estimates for when he has to be at work and for when he comes home. (And by "general," I'm guessing he's close a smidgen more than half the time. And by "general," I mean "early" or "evening.")
It gets old.
Fast.
Slowly, I've let a lot of my anger about that go. I'd even go so far as to say that I can go several weeks without being bothered by it (which, come on, is a huge improvement from daily).
So, it's pisses me all the more when "something" comes up. Like working on Sunday. Having class rescheduled for Valentine's Day. You know, things like that.
I know he didn't decide to work Sunday, and I know he didn't decide to reschedule his class for Valentine's Day (the first Valentine's Day we've actually had a babysitter). But still. It's his job. It's his school. We have to live here because of his job. He goes to school because of his job.
When you're just some lame stay-at-home mom, it sometimes annoying to see his life dominate our life every single time.
- And REALLY (I mean, REALLY) don't bother to say ANYTHING if it's along the lines of "Well, you knew what you were getting into." or "You married into the military, what did you expect?" Because that's REALLY (did I mention REALLY?) not going to be helpful. Because REALLY, if you say something like that ... I hope you have a REALLY great imagination of me reaching through the internet and strangling you ;) Sometimes a person just needs to throw it out there and vent, all right? I'm not divorcing him over this or screaming or anything else. I'm just pissed off. Geez.
1.30.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Okay, first of all? Lame stay-at-home mom?
ReplyDeleteNot so much.
I've known you for...God... 9 YEARS now, and never, not once, NEVER would I use the word lame to describe you in any way. Your kids are lucky to have a great mom like you, and Husband hit the lottery the day he met you.
Now that we've cleared that up...your frustration is totally, 100% natural. I'd be pissed off too, and you have every right to be. And I think Husband will understand that when it comes down to it, and the end of the day, you're pissed off at the military, not at him. And when things build up, and you need to vent, this blog and your friends are a great way to do that.
Oh, and anyone who says different? Crazy.
I think it's a testament to your character that you ARE a stay at home mom and you DO deal with having your life (and the life of your family) mandated to you by the military.
ReplyDeleteBeing a stay at home mom and military wife in an age where you KNOW there were other options, affords you an occasional complaint.
The social and economic value of sacrificing to take care of your family is immeasurable.