7.08.2011

Allergies

Holding your child during an allergy skin prick test sucks. I know it wasn't "painful," but he was uncomfortable and dying to itch, and I just had to hold him close and keep his hands off his back. It was terrible. I don't recommend doing it unless it's really necessary.

Thankfully, none of his food reactions tested high enough to be considered an allergy. The only things that offered ANY reaction were whole milk and corn (and corn can often come out when crossed with grass allergies).

His worse reaction was to dust mites (a year-round allergy), grass (which usually knocks off in very hot weather which explains why his allergies seem so much worse fall through spring), cats, and cockroaches.

Putting laminate wood floors throughout the entire house was the best choice we could have made. I'm also not to acquire anymore rugs (which will make Husband bummed), but our one low-pile rug is OK (as long as it's not in his bedroom). All the bedding in his room (his brother's too) needs to be cased. All the bedding in our room too, since he spends time in there snuggling in the mornings. I refuse to give up my ONE feather pillow (his allergies certainly aren't that bad - I really love my feather pillow). The bedding precautions will probably be beneficial to Husband too. It's also advised to wash bedding in 130-degree water. Our water heater is at 120 to prevent scalding. We'll need to think about that.

Our couches are gross. Which I already knew. They are beat up and stained and showing signs of wear. I didn't want to replace them till the boys were done beating the hell out of them, but it might be time for them to go anyway. Indoor cats have lounged upon them and there are 7 to 8 years of dust mite fun in them. Replacing them with leather is the obvious choice. I don't really like leather furniture, but it makes the most sense allergy-wise, hygiene-wise, and durability-wise.

Grass is unavoidable. Hopefully that is something the gazillion medicines he was prescribed can resolve (OK, it's not really a gazillion, but it is like five or six).

That cat is obviously outside for good. One of the cat's disappeared last week. It wasn't my cat this time, so I don't care. Husband said, "But White Chin misses her sister." I said, "No she doesn't. She's my cat. She doesn't give a crap. She's fine." And she is. She's the lower maintenance of the two, so it worked out. I'm guessing White Chin weasled her way into someone's home. Since moving, she was desperate to get back inside. I haven't seen any cat carcasses on the road. I guess it's possible that a neighboring dog ate her, but adopting new humans seems most likely.

As for cockroaches, the allergist was clear that this was the small cockroaches and mainly the dust leftover from their dead bodies and feces. I've only ever seen the HUGE ones outside the house since we moved in and did clean up a few HUGE ones before we moved in. He does think it's worth having the outside perimeter of the house sprayed once a year, if possible.

By far, though, his reaction to dust mites was much worse than anything else. Cats were second.

So, there you have it.

The allergist said an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor would gladly remove Moose's tonsils and adenoids (as that's how they make their living), but he personally doesn't see that being necessary. He wants to see how the drugs and preventative measures do clearing up his symptoms before resorting to surgery.

I'm not sure I entirely agree. I know surgery is a more invasive fix in the short-term, but being on allergy meds long-term seems to carry its own set of risks and general annoyances. Of course, surgery doesn't necessarily mean any of the allergy issues would be resolved either.

Looking at leather couches and wondering why they don't come in fun colors. Can only find brown, black, and white (which looks like it belongs in a retirement community). They can dye leather, right? Where's the turquoise?

My two top contenders (after looking at Sam's Club, Costco, Ethan Allen, Ivan Smith, La-Z-Boy, and Havertys):

La-Z-Boy Pembroke
La-Z-Boy Barron

Pembroke is more affordable (though, I think after you customize it to leather the price is probably equal - hard to make sense of online) but a little on the fussy side. On the other hand, Barron is all classic lines (almost boring) but could easily stand the test of time and be jazzed up with some fun pillows.

Aren't we supposed to be saving for a minivan down payment? Children are forever coming up with new ways to spend your money!

1 comment:

  1. I had the same reaction with Peytonn when he got his allergy test. He has to have another skin test done in October and I am not looking forward to it. He bawled his eyes out the first time.

    He is also on like 5 medications but its usually only a short time he is on all 5 at the same time. Usually in the Spring and Fall.

    But it really helped him a lot. I hope it helps Moose the same way!

    ReplyDelete

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL