6.03.2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

Yesterday marked the big 2-8 for me. Despite being far away from friends (newer and older) and family, it was a wonderful day. I woke up to a house smokey from turkey bacon :) with eggs and toast. We took the boys to the big park and played in the fountain. I chatted with a mom there about things to do around here. We went home for lunch and then opened presents! Of course, I had already opened everything from my mom and my in-laws (hey, it's not my fault it's here before my birthday), but Jonathan and the boys had some wonderful things for me - a new Fossil purse, gift cards to Michaels and Kohls, three pairs of Target flip flops, and a new feather pillow. (I left my old pillow at the hotel and was very sad about it.) Then I took a nap with my new pillow. Later we went to Copelands for dinner, they serve New Orleans-type food, and it was SO good. We came home and did cake and then I headed to a journaling group. The group meets at the church and was very, very good. We did free writing and made goals for next week's meeting. So, so nice to be writing again.

My mom sent me a couple Cricut cartridges - new releases at that! I was very impressed. I didn't inherit my love of crafting from her, but it's nice to know that she pays attention when I rattle on and on about my crafting.

My in-laws sent me True Blood Season 2 (so I got to cancel my order - wahoo!). I watched it all up and am now having Sookie withdrawal. I've read all 10 books and seen both seasons and the new season doesn't start till June ... and we don't have HBO anyway, so I'll be waiting for that DVD season to come out in a year. The horror!

I have read two books recently, The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio and I'll Fly Away. Both great reads.

On my birthday, Bean got a new big kid bike with no training wheels. Mind you, he could barely ride a small bike WITH training wheels, so he's got a lot of practice to do. His little buddies two doors down both ride bikes without training wheels, so he has some peer pressure which should help in this circumstance. Also, I think he's starting to get a little self conscious about being cool. When his friends knocked on the door today and Husband said, "Bean, you want to go play?" he jumped up and said, "Yeah!!!" then he quickly collected himself and said, "I mean, I'll meet you guys outside." What was that all about?

I somehow talked my husband into going into a junk store antique shop today to look for a coffee table. We actually found lots of cool stuff, but nothing suitable for our coffee table. There are lots of antique stores around, so I'm sure we'll find something eventually. There is a trunk at Pier 1 that I like - maybe that'll go on clearance mid-summer or something.

We also ate a somewhat famous Southern diner for lunch called Strawn's. OH SO GOOD! We are quickly understanding why the Southern states are typically the most overweight. Anything that isn't deep fried is smothered in butter and/or lard and/or gravy. Even the kids' pancake platter came with a HUGE dollop of HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM. Amazing.

So, yes, we continue to love Louisiana. The only downside so far is the smelly, yucky-tasting water. All in all, though, it's a small price to pay. Oh, the flipping 8.6 percent sales tax too. Ouch. Oh, and car insurance rates (do you here DAT, Louisiana, learn how to drive!). Still, though, I'll take Louisiana over North Texas any day.

2 comments:

  1. Car insurance rates are high because of the large percentage of uninsured drivers--basically, you're paying for you and for the guy who's going to hit you one day who doesn't have insurance. Joy!

    Some areas (many) have terrible water. Might want to look into a filter at least for the sink. I live on a Natural Spring, so our water is good, but if we didn't, I'd consider doing one for the whole house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such an awesome day! Happy 28th!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL