I do not have a direct descendant from that side of the family who served in the Revolutionary War, so I'll have to keep searching.
I emailed a guy who wrote a book of my great-grandmother's maiden name (emailed him to confirm my findings that none of my grandfathers served during the war). His research agrees with what I've found, and he also shared the following:
Family legend says James William Henxxx fled Alabama after killing his brother-in-law, Jackson Barxxx in an altercation while Barxxx was beating his wife (James' sister). His father, Benjamin Norris Henxxx gave him money and his best horse and told him to leave Alabama and never come back. He went to Tennessee.
So, not only am I descended from an indentured servant and a slew of slave owners, I am also the great-great-great-great granddaughter of a murderer (though, it sounds well-deserved, you know, if killing is ever well-deserved, I think beating up on women places high up there). Also, that Benjamin Norris Henxxx mentioned was apparently a rather famous Baptist preacher in Alabama during his time.
I remember my mom saying she couldn't figure out where I came from. I'm starting to agree.
No comments:
Post a Comment