2.24.2010

School Discussion

Since finding out that we're heading to Louisiana, there's been a lot of talk about where to send the kids for school. The area schools don't exactly boast a great reputation.

Bean has been through PreK-3 and PreK-4 now and is certainly ahead of where I was when I started kindergarten. I'm not a mom who brags about her kid being a super-genius, but I do think he's "ahead" (but I also think he's fairly average compared to all his classmates, nothing wrong with that).

I thought very seriously about sending him to the Montessori school in the area. It seems like a phenomenal place and I think the Montessori program is something both boys would respond well to. It certainly costs a pretty penny, though, and that cost would override things like vacations, a new car, my going back to school, my having to go back to work (and like for real, not just serving coffee). It's something we'd be willing to do, but it would come with some sacrifice.

Last week, I talked to a mom who lived in the area about three years ago. She said she that she would have homeschooled if they got based there again, and she doesn't even want to homeschool.

I met a mom today who is moving there in August. She has children, 9 and 14. She said she wasn't pleased with the general public schools, but she found the magnet/charter schools up to snuff. So, I looked into those today. Oh, and they seem like the most wonderful thing! FREE and UP TO SNUFF!

From what I understand, though, the kids must be tested before being accepted. What if my kid doesn't make the cut? Then what? Also, we've already missed the 2010-2011 testing dates (umm, because we don't even have orders there yet), so who knows if they'll even be taking kids by the time we get there. Then what do I do with him? I guess we could go ahead with the Montessori school, but - good grief - the price difference certainly affects so many aspects of our life. A new car is one thing, but having two parents working is a pretty big change for them.

So, till something actually happens, I'm going to continue to fret over over this.

Also, a friend of a friend, who lives in my neighborhood, has a serious offer on her house. It's been on the market for 5 days! Was priced quite a bit higher than they had expected. Real estate is certainly looking up. I have an interview with her realtor (which was already scheduled before the big offer) next week. So, perhaps I will have some relief in that area :)

7 comments:

  1. Montesri is not he only private option - there are less expensive private schools.

    Another option is to look at the indiviual scoring of schools and select a school within the the district or adjacent district that scores well - not just the nearest PS.

    Worst case - public scholl until the magent tests occur then make a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have looked at a few other private schools and their prices are about the same and, in some cases, more than the Montessori school. That surprised me, since I expected the religious schools to be less. I'm much happier seeing our money goes towards Montessori than to Evangelicals or Catholics ... personally speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know here in Indiana, you are able to send your child to the PS of your choice. However, if it is out of your "district" then you have to provide transportation and possibly pay tuition. I dont know if that is something that is available in Louisiana, but it may be worth looking into. Goodluck, its so hard picking the "right" school for your child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. did be slighting the Catholics - many years of parochial school worked well for the familty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a problem with other people sending their kids to Catholic school, but I won't send my kids there. Besides, they want an extra $1000 because we're not Catholic. The Evangelicals don't have those fees (but they're scarier, trust me, I know - and, in some cases, am related to - loads of them).

    Unfortunately, the Church of Gaming (the religion your son has chosen for our family) does not oversee any schools at the present time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh. . . Louisiana and their crappy schools. First thing I'd do is make sure that a nearby district isn't better--the Shreveport/Bossier area is pretty Urban (Urban for LA) and there might be a nicer rural distric right outside the city. Hey--I put a question up on FB page and see if I can learn anything.

    About the public schools--just call and see if anything can be done about the testing sitch. Some district allow testing info from other districts so you might be able to have the kids tested in TX and have the info transferred. Some places also allow for private testing to count.

    I will put the Q up on FB tomorrow and let you know if I hear anything. Know a couple of Shreveport people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my sister had the possibility of going there, she said they would live as east in TX as they could and make her husband drive to work. LOL She was serious....doesn't help you much though.

    I see you have those Gamevance link thingy's in your blog too....where does that come from?

    ReplyDelete

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL