Yes, my 2010 resolutions required PAGES of notes. Why PAGES? We'll, I think it's all well and good to say, "Lose 10 pounds." But you have to have some plan of attack, something specific. The resolution should really be, "Visit gym three times a week and walk two days a week."
I started by making a bubble map of things I MUST DO (see: no fun things that nonetheless become miserable if ignored). They included:
Housework
Child Care
Cooking/Menu Planning
Budgeting
Household Organization
M&Ms
Then I made a list of things I would LIKE to do. They included:
Crafting
Learning to Play the Guitar
Reading
Blogging
Writing
Pursue MFA
Then I made a list of things that I call IN LIMBO They included:
Weight
Tastefully Simple Business
Weight is IN LIMBO because it's not a problem, but it could quickly become one. Also, I'm not real happy with the way things have "settled" since having Moose. I do not have a problem with the actual number (OK, maybe a ::little:: problem, but not much). It's better to conquer a fire while it's small, then waiting till it engulfs an entire hillside, right?
Then I went back and listed things are required to complete each MUST and LIKE and pros and cons and to dos for the IN LIMBO. For example:
Learning Guitar - I need money, time, and guitar
Pursue MFA - I need money, time, and a portfolio.
Child Care - I need to update Moose's shots, take him to a Mother's Day Out program and look info for pre-school options for the fall.
Tastefully Simple - Want to maintain discount, do not want to do parties.
From there, I make a rough draft of my resolutions and scribble in questions like "Well, how are you going to do that?".
I make a list of things that could help me achieve several of the goals. The main thing I notice for a lot of my goals is that time is needed, so my list looks like:
Wake up earlier.
Daily exercise.
Watch less TV.
Stop doing Tastefully Simple parties.
Create household "Control Journal" (an idea from FlyLady).
Then I take a break for a while (no way was all this done in one sitting). I skim magazines and books, looking for a 2010 MOTTO. I have't decided on a final thing, but I like the following:
Change will take place with or without your participation.
People get old, plans change, red wine spills on your great grandmother's tablecloth - there isn't any other way. (Amy Bloom)
Everything in the future and the past is right here now. There's always something ending, there's always something beginning. (Albert Einstein, summarized)
Those are all from one magazine article, clearly. Last year's motto was, "Walk in love." Last year's motto was an epic fail :)
Finally, finally, finally, I make a list of 2010 GOALS. I state the goal and have little things under it on how to achieve it. For example:
Update blog on weekdays.
- pre-plan week
- have 10 posts ready for backup
This blog is, obviously, a personal blog. The intent is to keep in touch with family and friends across the country (and some overseas or so far away ... ALASKA ... that they might as well be overseas). I don't have a set commitment here. I do want to explore two other blogging ventures, though. I have my ignored craft blog and am looking to start a new one ... where I hope to actually make money through advertising (at least enough to pay my water bill).
So, there you have it. Again, things are not final, but they are approaching that. Disgusting, huh? Is this proof that I might have a hint of OCD?
12.18.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment