I'm not sure how other parts of the country of reacting to Swine Flu, but Texas is taking it very seriously. Some schools have shut down (one where I live) and athletics have been postponed till May 11. (Does the flu magically die May 11?) Last I heard, there were about 18 unconfirmed cases where I live.
The base is also going crazy. Apparently, the hospital staff on base are in haz-mat uniforms. The gate cards no longer touch your ID (you hold it out and flip it over for them). I wonder how long this will last? The base has a history of hyping up security and keeping it that way (like about cell phones and closing the hospital gate). Are other bases like this?
Anyway, I used the downpour(s) we had yesterday as an excuse to stay inside (estimates say we got 6" in one day). We were out of milk and bread, though, so I had to venture out with the kids. I don't really overreact to germs, but I make it a habit to wash my hands when I come into the house and such. Out and about today, though, I'll admit that I was more cautious than usual. I opted to use Moose's stroller over the store carts. I wiped down the cart at the grocery store extra well (I always wipe the grocery cart down - do you know how nasty some people keep their kids?). I also wiped my own hands off when getting back in the car.
Bean's school is still open. Both boys are still healthy as of this evening. I just hope this thing gets behind us. One of my friends pointed out that the American media can only focus on one thing at a time - the election, the economy, and now the swine flu. I hate fear mongering. HATE. It's actually ranked above football, country music, and Holly from Brothers & Sisters. It is, ironically, ranked right beside Fox News and Anne Coulter. Go figure.
Also, I need a "No Soliciting" sign. Seriously, it seems like at least three times a week I get people knocking on my door trying to sell me magazines or vacuums or religion. No, no, and, seriously, no. Perhaps it's a job for my Cricut.
4.30.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Can you make me a sign too? We get those people all of the time. Usually, I can spot them in the neighborhood and make up my hand written sign real quick and tape it to the door before they get to our house.
ReplyDeleteHave you ever used one of those cloth covers you can put over the seat of the grocery cart to like, insulate your baby against public germs? Do you know at all what I'm talking about? I always assumed I'd get one of those, but I wonder if anyone has ever used it.
ReplyDeleteYes, I have a cart cover. I use it quite often. It's nice because it covers all the surfaces and keeps everything soft. I use it for the restaurant highchairs too. I still think the stroller is probably cleaner than the cover after a few uses. Also, the cover doesn't fit into the "rocket" cart that I ::need:: to use when we go to the grocery store. (Need as defined by Bean.)
ReplyDeleteat our meijer they have carts that are like, little cars on the bottom, kids sit entirely inside of the cart, and there is a tv screen on the inside that plays cartoons. You have to pay to use them, and they seem absolutely ridiculous. And also completely impractical if you have more than one kid.
ReplyDelete