Since then, we've traveled out-of-town or celebrated with friends. Those Thanksgivings always proved much more successful.
Five years later, though, and we're going to try this again.
1. Cajun-Fried Turkey. We ordered a turkey. I'm banking on it being close to impossible to under-deep-fry a turkey, so we have that going for us :)
2. Pepperidge Farm Stuffing. This is what my mom always made. I usually make Beer Bread Stuffing (which is delicious). I'm going to combine the two and make Pepperidge Farm's onion and celery stuffing variation.
3. Corn. Thanks Del Monte.
4. Green Beans. Thanks Del Monte.
5. Schnitzel Beans. All the recipes I find online call for tomatoes. My husband's family recipes is bacon, french-cut green beans, onions, mayo, and sugar. It's, umm, interesting.
6. Quick Corn Bread. I have one leftover from last year's Tastefully Simple line. Homemade Gourmet also makes an awesome cornbread mix - available year around. I have a cast iron corn bread skillet set to arrive on Tuesday! I'm probably more excited for the skillet than the corn bread. I've made my own yeast rolls that past few years, but the corn bread is a lot less complicated.
7. Mashed Potatoes. Lots of milk, lots of butter. I'm thinking of boiling them in chicken broth instead of water. Thoughts?
8. Deviled Eggs. Maybe. I like it better when someone else makes them.
9. Pumpkin Pie.
10. Apple Pie. I won't eat it (the whole fruit outside it's original form thing), but I've been told time and time again that I make a great apple pie.
That seems like plenty. Thanks to Courtney for posting her Thanksgiving menu!
Oh, there will also be pepperoni pizza. I asked Bean what he wanted for Thanksgiving and that's what he wanted. Fine.
ALSO, today is my husband's birthday! He's testing out his new Keurig Coffee Maker now.
That turkey sounds yummy! I've always wanted to try a deep fried turkey, but it seems complicated and a lot of turkey frying in oil watching. And yes, potatoes in chicken stock is a good idea! Much more flavor. We also use it after we mash the potatoes to add the creaminess without so much butter/milk. But hey, it's Thanksgiving, so I would totally use the butter and the milk! :)
ReplyDeleteThere are TONS of places here where you can order a deep-fried turkey (your options are fried or cajun-fried ... ha ha) - I guess they don't offer that as much up north. I would NEVER try to fry one myself.
ReplyDeleteSounds great! I add powdered ranch dressing mix to my mashed potatoes. The family loves them.
ReplyDeleteDo you eat pumpkin pie? Isn't it a fruit outside it's original form? lol ;)
Tell my nephew I wish him a happy birthday!!
Hugs and love to all of you!!!
Aunt Rose
Pumpkin falls into the vegetable family, in my categorizing. It doesn't come from a tree or bush - therefore, veggie :)
ReplyDeleteI do eat tomatoes in various forms, but even my anorexic 5 year old does that. But I think tomatoes are sort of towing the line in the veggie/fruit arena.