11.24.2010

Pie!

One of my favorite things about the holiday season is baking pies! I don't eat apple pie (see: fruit-outside-its-original-form issue), but I love making it. There is one in the oven ... sad to only be making one this year. It should be spectacular, though, since all my love was put into this single pie versus being divided by two or three apple pies, right?

I'll make two pumpkin pies later.

My first round of Christmas cards are addressed and stamped - including handwritten messages and pictures! I chose the Adopt-A-Pet stamps versus the Christmas stamps, because they're way cuter than lousy pine cones (no offense to anyone who went with the pine cones or religious stamps - I certainly support your choice, but I wanted something else). I only have one extra and am fretting that I will need a few more in case out-of-the-woodwork people send me Christmas cards, and I don't have one to send to them. Also, what if Barnes & Noble is sold out of my wee cute cards?*

Some Christmas shopping is complete, some gifts are on order, some remain undecided. Still, though, very nice progress considering it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

I met with a home child care provider today who has promise. She only watches three kids. She has a 7 month old there full-time right now. I think Moose would love to be around a baby. It's only a few hours a day, just a few days a week. Her place could be a nice home for him until he's able to start "real' pre-school come August. Also, she has a 5 year old who goes to the same school as Bean (she lives just across the busy street). I'm going to call the baby's mom this evening to "check up" on her, but there really might be something there ... then I will go to work ... and be a real adult again! It'll be good for me. We won't be rich, but I might be slightly more sane.

The Elantra went in for some routine maintenance - new front breaks, new tires, alignment, a hose, some fluid stuff, etc. I hate shelling out money on an old car, but it's still cheaper than getting a new one right now. She should be good to go for another few years (until I hit a huge pothole or race over railroad tracks). She doesn't shake over 60 anymore, so that's nice (but no more free massage).

Bean insisted on seeing the doctor today for "lower joint pain" or something. He "possibly" pulled a tendon in his foot and has been limping and whining about it for more than a day. The doctor took an x-ray, gave him an Ace bandage, and declared it OK to sit around and do nothing till it feels better. Victory for Bean and celebration for military (see also: socialized) health insurance.

I had an MRI today. Let me tell you, NOTHING LIKE TV. It is FREAKING LOUD. I had ear plugs in, and I felt like I was being shot at for about 5 minutes, then a break that involved a shot of "contrast," and then another 5 minutes of shooting. Wild times. Oh, I had the MRI because I have these muscle tremors, which the doctor and I think are just stress-related but my husband is convinced is brain cancer. So, to subside my husband's fears, the doctor ordered the MRI. Again, celebrating socialized health insurance.

Let the week of nothing continue.

*That's right, I did not make our cards this year. I made one attempt, and they were hideous, and I just wasn't feeling it, so I decided to just buy them. It was wonderfully easy, and I continue to fully support my decision.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, LOVE your Christmas card and the pictures of the boys! And I feel honored to be amongst the first round draft picks for your Holiday cards! I just took down the pics of the boys you sent last year, in the hopes of getting new ones this year, and then, ta-da! :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL