On Tuesday, a tutoring student (not mine) told one of my students that she "act white." My student, I think, was more embarrassed that he said this in front of me than about her. He made it a point to look at me while he said it to her. I asked him to repeat it, and he wouldn't. I then asked him if he'd like to have a conversation about it. He said no.
I've seen maybe four white people at that school, two teachers, the security guard, and myself. Not a single Mexican or Asian kid either.
I shared some of my Burt's Bees Miracle Salve with the girls today. They were not impressed.
"I hope you don't use that around your man," one said. "No offense, but it stinks."
Another told me she used grease in her hair, and I said, "Well, it looks just like grease." She said it might look like it, but it sure didn't smell like it.
They suggested I get some lotion from Victoria Secret.
Another tutor (fair to assume that I am the only white tutor) was telling me today about how she needed to get her hair done. She kept mentioning an "inch of growth" that needed handled. I guess that means it needs to be chemically relaxed (since the rest of her hair is smooth). I didn't want to seem ignorant, so I just nodded. Note to self, need to watch Chris Rock's Good Hair.
11.11.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment