So, we have our orders. We need to be in Louisiana by May 31. It's, umm, overwhelming to say the least. I didn't expect to be out of here quite so soon. I was thinking more the END of summer, but no one who makes decisions cares what I think.
We've gone back and forth on a million different things but have decided to get a home on-base. Husband is already getting that paperwork together, so we'll be on the waiting list and ::fingers crossed:: have a home to move into upon our arrival. (The base housing there is quite nice we hear.)
We'll get Bean tested for the magnet schools. If they're full or he doesn't test into them, then we are sending him to the Montessori school for kindergarten. Should we get assigned to Shreveport long-term, then we'll move to an area near one of the better public elementary schools. To save some money, though, Moose will not go to the Montessori school for pre-school. We'll just place him in a church-type pre-school a couple days a week (he'll only be 2, after all). Luckily, a student loan that we're currently making large payments to will be paid off by the time tuition comes do - we'll just roll that money into the Montessori tuition instead of into another loan, as we had planned. So, actually, we won't even miss it. Thank goodness.
We met with the Realtor. I can't say the price is bad, but how much commissions and fees take is quite disgusting. We do all the hard work for years and these vultures swoop in for a few weeks and take a healthy chunk of it. BUT, I do like the Realtor. She seems very organized and professional. Personality-wise, we also mesh well.
Husband is wrapping up the guest bathroom and I'm packing. Husband has already lost his parking spot in the garage to boxes. I have a garage sale planned for April 10 and a chunk of stuff to take to Goodwill and to the base thrift shop. I also have some painting projects to look forward to (nothing huge, but painting is not something me or my husband look forward to - since some extreme painting at our last home, he actually hasn't painted a thing in this home). Also, I've noticed I have a thing for paint colors that name fruits. For example, Apple Green, Cherry Red, and Northern Pear Tree. The only other paint color I have recently selected is called Overcast - so it's not a 100-percent theme (BUT, Mrs. House of Toys actually picked it out, so maybe that doesn't count). (Don't worry, I didn't paint any room Cherry Red - just the mailbox and touch ups to the bench and flower pots.)
I finished our taxes today, and we're getting a nice chunk of money back! Thank goodness. We're just going to let it sit for now - in case something comes up with the housing inspection or we move without selling it and need some moolah on hand to make extra mortgage payments. What spectacular timing. If all goes well, though, it'll be the start of a new car fund! We have our eye on something with decent gas mileage, three rows of seating, and NOT a mini-van (I'm not so opposed to it, but my husband is dead-set against it). Husband is sort of liking the Chevy Traverse. Now, I love a Chevy, but the thing looks like a monster compared to my Elantra. I'm a small-car girl - a beloved Chevette, a not-so-beloved Escort, and the good-car-worst-buying-experience-ever-never-buy-anything-from-Butler-Hyundai-on-the-northside-of-Indianapolis-ever Elantra. Oh, but ROOM! Road trips will be so much more pleasant when we're not packed on top of each other - with luggage and snacks and entertainment shoved between. Only 12 hours to Orlando - we might make that trip a couple times a year!
My new thinking: It's just money. We'll get more next month. (My frugal friends are gasping - my apologies, but it's the only way I'm going to get through the next few weeks. I will resume my more frugal lifestyle once this house is sold and the move is complete.)
3.14.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ohh that is the car I have been eyeing as well. Right now we have the Chevy Uplander (minivan) and I like it, but would prefer a SUV again. I have already started trying to convince hubby about the Traverse for when he gets home. :) I'm sure I can find a way or two to butter him up!
ReplyDeleteOrlando? Multiple times a year? I'll so meet you there! (At least until Summer 2011!)
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the painting and fingers crossed on the eventual car buying! I remember the Chevette well! Here's hoping your next car has at least half as much personality!
Courtney - We'll probably get one that is a year old upon buying it. We really like the Volvo XC90 too - but when you have that third row up, you have NO cargo space. You don't have much in the Traverse, but I suspect you could still get some grocery bags or a couple suitcases (laid on their skinny sides) in there.
ReplyDeleteC - You think they'll be moving you come Summer 2011? Back to D.C. or some other crazy state? No car will ever compare to my dear Chevette. The Elantra is "smurf blue," however. Husband is mortified that he married someone who will only consider blue or red cars. He's more of a silver or gray guy. That's fine for other people, but I prefer blue (or red, if they're out of blue).
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteask husband about "tune" he wrote while in high school "Mini Van Man".....
ReplyDeleteGood luck Mel! I am thinking of you. I never had to sell a house while in the Army. We always rented.
ReplyDeleteMy friend has major bug issues living on-base in Shreveport. Just keep that in mind and keep maintenance on it, there are some poisonous spiders that she's come across and gross infestations. Our apartment complex sprayed every month when we lived there, rotating inside and outside.
ReplyDeleteWe just went through the whole car buying experience and the Chevy Equinox and Traverse were both on my list. I'd be happy to tell you what I though of them if you are interested. We decided on the GMC Acadia. Good luck with everything, keep in touch!