Thanks for your comments on my previous post. I know parents sometimes have the tendency to go all "mother bear" on their kid and tear down anyone who might be threatening their well-being. I feel like I'm not overreacting to this situation.
On Tuesday and Wednesday, Bean had green days. To be fair, I took him to school late both days. I let him sleep till he woke up naturally and let him take his time getting ready. I think getting a good amount of sleep and not being "rushed" into the day helped.
After two tardy days, though, I thought he should get to school on time today. I woke him up and gave him plenty of time to get to school. He wasn't rushed around, so I'm hoping he's able to remember, "Be a good listener." and "Keep your hands to yourself."
Of course, you'll never believe this ...
Bean started going to Awanas three weeks ago. He's a Cubbie. For those of you unfamiliar with the program, it's a children's program run by Baptists churches on Wednesday nights. The kids sing songs, memorize verses, do crafts, and have gym time. It's something I did as a kid and really enjoyed. Anyway, guess who was helping in Bean's Cubbie Classroom? His teacher from school. Can you imagine the horror that must have run across my face when I saw her?
Anyway, she joked, "Oh, Bean is going to be sick of seeing me." I forced laughed and replied, "Umm, or vice versa."
Maybe seeing Bean outside the classroom and seeing him under an adult who has no problems with him will be a good thing for their relationship. (Bean's Cubbie leader, Shannon, is a friend of a friend. She and I are friendly and she seems to enjoy Bean. Her personality and approach with kids seems far different from Bean's teacher.)
Of course, I'm not opposed to having to call a meeting or asking for an observation day.
The teacher did send a note home with all the students the other day that said she knows she's been strict, but she wants to set high expectations at the beginning of the year so the kids know what to expect for the rest of the year. I get that, but I also get that the kids are 4 years old! I'd think you'd need to build trust and understanding with them before you really get into discipline. But what do I know, there are very valid reasons why I did not take elementary education classes or do not run a home daycare. (See: I don't, generally, enjoy other people's children between the ages of say 3 and 11.)
9.10.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment