The election of Barack Obama is historic. I suspect it'll be one of "those moments."
Several times in school, we were asked to interview older relatives and friends of the family about "those moments" ... the moon landing, JFK's assassination, etc. For the record, one of my grandma's was shopping when JFK was shot. In high school we had to interview someone over 60 for history class. None of my grandparents were old enough, so I interviewed Mrs. F, a friend of the family who lived across the street from my grandparents (and now my aunt and uncle). She told me about the moon landing and Vietnam (her son was drafted). I should find that report some time.
I was in bed with Moose sleeping next me watching CNN when Obama was announced the winner. It's the first time "my" candidate has won, and I can't describe that feeling. It is SO good. It felt like a huge sigh of relief. It felt like HOPE (sorry for the cliche). His speech was beautiful (as are most his speeches). Oh, and it was just so good to hear the most important man in the world speak with such intelligence (and in coherent sentences, nonetheless). I even teared up when his wife and girls joined him on stage - because, I believe, it was their most popular moment. There is a lot of hard work ahead.
I can't imagine what an Obama presidency means to people who remember the Civil Rights movement on more than just paper.
Even taking race out of the picture, Obama's presidency is a huge moment for our nation - two endless wars, a slagging economy, an environmental crisis, and more ... talk about being president when it really counts.
Today looks better than yesterday.
1.19.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment