I finally wrapped up When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. Twas good. Exactly what you expect - witty and well-written. I love how he can write so personally without you once thinking, "Good Lord! I didn't need to know that!" Never TMI with Mr. Sedaris (unlike one Augusten Burroughs ... Running with Scissors, while I loved it, was entirely TMI). I particularly loved the essay where he's sitting in a class (he's learning Japanese) and is overwhelmed by how quickly he reverts to brown-nosing ... even at 40+ years of age. He often reminds us that, no matter how much we distance ourselves from "then," we're never too far from ourselves.
I also finished Twilight very quickly. I loved it. I mean, the writing is close to terrible (it's young adult fiction, after all, and not snobbish literary fiction), but the story is SO good. Half of it is so familiar, teenage angst and love and whatnot. The other half is so unfamiliar - vampires! It's great. I have the other three books on order. And I can't wait to eat them up. It's not quite as good as Harry Potter (which, while young adult fiction, is well written), but still has that addictive "what happens next" quality. If you're on the fence about whether or not to jump on the Twilight bandwagon, I strongly encourage you to read it.
I'm now reading The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are. It's fascinating! Much of the information is already obvious - the oldest are successful, the middle are independent, and the babies are babies. But I'm very interested in how other factors, like the sex of the children and distance between them, play into their lives. Bean and Moose have the "ideal" distance (according to Dr. Kevin Leman), at three years. Both being male, though, it's probable that they will be a bit competitive and will fall into their roles of oldest and youngest. Should a 3.0 come along, Moose will become the peacemaker and likely overlooked - more so if 3.0 is a girl. I'm an obvious first born, but I do have quite a few only-child qualities as well, which makes sense since I'm nearly seven years older than my brother. My husband is in the same boat (being the oldest and eight years older than his sister), which might explain why we butt heads so much - people who marry outside their birth order often have "easier" marriages. Who knew?
I also bought TWO cloth diapers. Yup, two. The diapers will allegedly fit my kid up to 35 pounds. True or not, we will see.
1.26.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, someone else who won't judge me for burning through the Twilight books so quickly, I love it! No, they're not well-written, but there's something about them that's so addictive, that you just can't put them down!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I'm totally adding The Birth Order book to my "To Read" list. I can't wait to see what it says (other than the obvious) about only children.